Morning and Afternoon Drop Off / Pick Up
IMPORTANT SAFETY REMINDERS
This is to serve as a reminder for the ongoing concerns related to the morning and afternoon drop off and pick up of students. The safety of our students is our priority and we are seeking your assistance and support to maintain a safe school zone daily.
- A disregard to the crosswalks where students are trying to safely cross the street.
- Speeding through the school zone on Summit Grove Parkway, in addition to the lane leading to the BASE program directly in front of the school when students are being dropped off at the program.
- U-turns being made on Summit Grove Parkway.
- Students crossing the road (not utilizing crosswalks) and/or being beckoned from parents to cross the road instead of getting out of vehicles to accompany their children to safely get across the street.
- Hug and go vehicles are not pulling all the way forward to the second crosswalk in the lane.
- Unattended vehicles in the hug and go zone in the afternoon.
Safety is the number one priority and therefore we need your help and compliance in following the guidelines listed below:
- Please use caution and adhere to crosswalk safety. It is a State law to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk.
- The only vehicles and families allowed entrance through the gate for the morning and afternoon routine include buses, cars with a valid handicap placard or license plate, or daycare vehicles. Please know our staff will ask you to move your vehicle if the proper placard is not visible.
- Do not allow your child(ren) to cross the street without using a crosswalk. If need be, we appreciate you taking the time to walk your child from point A to point B, instead of waving them across the street.
- Please abide to the school zone speed limits on the local streets and on school property. Any violations may result in double fines if ticketed. The Thornton Police Department will continue to serve as partner to enforce and support ongoing safety efforts.
- No illegal U-turns on Summit Grove Parkway.
- Please pull all the way forward in the hug-n-go lane. This helps with the flow of traffic at the four way stop and keeps cars out of the street.
- No double parking in the Hug-N-Go zone or east parking lot. There are too many blind spots that can lead to collisions.
- Arrive early and use alternative drop off / pick up locations. (Along the baseball fields is a low traffic area and students can easily cross the fields to and from the back entrance of the school.)
- Please maintain a HIGH level of patience, as the goal for all 585+ families is to get their students to school safely. Be respectful and know our reminders are in the best interest of our student population.